First, you need to parent-proof!
When you first bring the baby home, you’ll find he can’t get into much. In the early weeks you need to focus much more on parent-proofing than baby-proofing! You probably know the drill, but here are some critical safety points to keep in mind:
- Always fasten baby in. Carseats, carriers, bouncy chairs…if a piece of equipment has straps, use them!
- Keep a hand on the baby when he’s up high. You never know when your baby will learn to roll or give a well-timed kick, so don’t leave him unattended on a changing table, a bed, or the couch. And secure as that bouncy seat looks, it doesn’t belong on the counter or table!
- Don’t crowd the bed. Whether your baby is sleeping in a crib, bassinet, or co-sleeper, don’t crowd him with pillows, blankets, or toys. Keep his environment comfortable and give him plenty of room so he can sleep safely.
Then, baby-proof with a level head.
Of course you want to keep your baby as safe as possible, but baby-proofing doesn’t have to be stressful.
- You don’t have to use every product out there. Every family and home is different, so think carefully about potential danger zones and choose what makes sense for your situation.
- Add baby-proofing when you need it, and when you have time. As your baby learns to roll, sit, and crawl, you’ll need different safety measures. It’s ok to add them incrementally. If time is weighing on you at the end of your pregnancy, feel free to install those drawer and cabinet locks now, but don’t stress out if you can’t do it all right away.
- Know your baby. The best way to protect your baby is to stay informed, pay attention, and trust your intuition. You know your child best, so if you’ve got a wild one who tends to go through life at full tilt, maybe those foam corner guards will be a good bet!
And always, always, enjoy the ride.
Sorting through all of the options for new parents can be confusing and overwhelming. At Angelcare, we’re here to help you navigate the adventure of parenting with confidence so you can relax and savor every moment.